At least 124 students from Scared Hearts Mukumu Girls’ High School in Kakamega County have been hospitalized with diarrhea and food poisoning symptoms.
Although it was not immediately established what the students suffered from, initial tests by public health officials ruled out Cholera.
The girls were admitted to the Kakamega County General Hospital and are receiving treatment for food poising after tests conducted confirmed it.
The hospital’s Director of Communications, Sumba Juma, said an official statement would be issued once facts are ascertained.
The county health chief officer David Alila said that more students were being received at the hospital.
“We are yet to know what the real cause of the diarrhoea is. We are still conducting tests,” he said.
Meanwhile, further tests and inspections are underway at the school.